Did you know?
Candles are household staples in many own, but few know much about these humble lighting mechanisms. Here are 5 fun facts about candles that might surprise you:
- The word candle is derived from the Latin word candere, meaning to shine.
- Manufacturer surveys show that 90% of all candles are purchased by women (but don’t worry guys, Escents Candle Company has strong men’s scents)
- Candles use to be a common way to measure time due to their consistent and measurable burning. Accuracy is another story.
- The fragrance of the first scented candles in the American colonies was bayberry.
- After modern lighting was invented (kerosene lamps, electric lightbulb, flashlights), candles were used for decoration and fragrance more than a light source.
To stock up on your candle supply visit Escents Candle Company.